One of my family’s favorite rainy day dishes is salmon belly sinigang. I was feeling terribly homesick a few days ago so I cooked a hearty pot of this sour and savory soup. Well, homesick and sawang sawa na ako sa crackers at saging at calorie counting!!! I wanted to eat a lot! Pero dapat healthy pa rin. :p
So, here. I’ll tell you how to cook this. I promise it’s very easy! Pero shempre special! Ako nagluto eh! :p Here are the ingredients–
1/2 kilo salmon belly
1 small white onion, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 small pack of sinigang sa miso mix
2 medium tomatoes, chopped
1 large eggplant, sliced in 2-inch strips
1 small radish, sliced
2 small sili pansigang
a handful of kangkong leaves
juice of 6 small calamansi
3 tablespoons of patis
2 tablespoons of olive oil
a pinch of crushed black pepper
1. Sauté the garlic, onions and tomatoes in olive oil.
2. Add the salmon belly when the garlic is lightly brown, onions are transluscent and tomatoes are a bit wilted. Stir until fish changes color. Yung hindi na shiny looking.
3. Put 4 cups of water and add the calamansi juice and a small pack of sinigang sa miso mix. Knorr is my brand of choice. Simmer for 2 minutes.
4. Add the radish and eggplant. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
6. Add the sili and kangkong leaves. If you don’t have kangkong, you can use spinach. You can also use spinach if you wanna sound sosyal. Or you can just call kangkong water spinach. Harhar.
7. Add patis and black pepper. Stir and turn off the stove. Serve and eat while hot.
This is best paired with rice, of course. Masarap kainin habang umuulan-ulan. The sourness of this is perfect in my book, but because taste is relative, you can of course tweak the quantity of the ingredients.
This can feed 6. Yung hindi masyado malalakas kumain. :p
// listening to Justin Timberlake – Cry Me A River