Suman sa lihiya (sticky rice cooked in lye water) is usually served with either grated coconut with brown sugar (kinayod na niyog at asukal na pula) or coconut caramel sauce (panocha na may gata).
The sauce is quite easy to make, just follow these few steps:
1. Heat 1 cup of coconut milk/gata.
2. When it is about to simmer, add half a cup of brown sugar and stir. I guess coco sugar is the best but muscovado is still my favorite.
3. Add half a teaspoon of cornstarch dissolved in a tablespoon or two of water to thicken.
4. Add a pinch of salt and a few drops of vanilla if you want, but I suggest you do.
5. Stir some more. Simmer in low fire for a minute or two. Serve with suman.
This is good for 8-12 pieces of suman, unless you want to treat the sauce like soup.
// listening to Mandy Moore – Stupid Cupid